Saturday, August 12, 2017

Sourdough Pretzel Rolls

Well, I definitely "winged' this one as I had to make a number of changes to the original recipe:

It called for one cup of rye starter (no weights given).  After looking up the recipe for the starter, I found it had a lower hydration than the whole wheat starter I planned to use.  I was able to make the necessary corrections to this batch (with the help of a little math) in order to get the final dough to a 63% hydration.

While this recipe called for a bake on the same day, I just didn't have the time to do that so I opted to do an overnight cold bulk fermentation instead.

Dough
  • 238 grams active levain (100% hydration)
  • 2 tbs diastatic malt powder
  • 222 grams Warm Water (~90°F)
  • 180 g AP Flour
  • 240 g Bread Flour

Autolyse 30 minutes and then add the following (one at a time) until fully incorporated
  • 8 grams salt
  • 1 gram instant yeast
  • 15 g melted butter

Perform 4 stretch and folds at 20-minute intervals. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight until doubled in size (in my case, 12 hours).

Divide the dough into 18 pieces, roll them into tight balls, and proof at room temperature. Since the dough balls are deflated after rolling, and there's not much yeast in this recipe (by my own choice), I let them proof again for about an hour or so until they felt "puffy".

Preheat the oven to 425° F.

Dissolve 1/2 cup of baking soda in a pot of boiling water (my square "Copper Chef" was perfect for this :) )

Boil the dough balls for about 30 seconds each top and bottom (4 or so at a time) and transfer them to a baking pan lined with parchment paper.  When done, score each ball with an "X" and top with coarse salt or a finishing salt.

The recipe calls for baking these for 30 minutes; I would check these starting around the 20-minute mark so they don't get too dark.  Make sure you cool them on a rack for at least 30 minutes.  

These were absolutely delicious!  Crispy on the outside and nice and chewy on the inside.  A definite winner :)  Next time I'll make them a little bigger so they can be used as hamburger buns.
(click on pic to enlarge)




0 comments:

Post a Comment