Monday, July 17, 2017

Sourdough Starter (Day 5)

This is my second attempt at producing a sourdough starter within the last couple of weeks and, unfortunately, it doesn't appear that I'm having much luck.  I have two separate "batches" working at the moment. If either of them work, I'll provide details on how I did them.  However, it's only been 5 days and I've read that it can take upwards to 16 days to fully activate a starter.  

What I have now definitely has a pleasantly sour taste (before feedings), so it certainly looks like Lactobacillus is growing.  I just don't see any definitive evidence of a wild yeast fermentation. Everything looks good / smells good / tastes good / temperatures are fine; I guess I'll just have to be patient. From all the reading I've done, I'm not the first person to have this issue.

However, just in case, I ordered a San Francisco sourdough culture today and I'll have it by Thursday :)