Saturday, September 10, 2011

Sourdough Excitement!

OK, maybe I need to get a life but I can't wait to make a "Pain Au Levain".  My sourdough starter looked great and I just used Reinhart's book to turn the culture into a "mother starter".  Here's how it's come about:

The culture:                            (click on the pics to enlarge them)

I then took 1 cup of the culture and added more flour and water

I let this sit to ferment at room temperature for about 4 hours or so...  I actually should have put this is a larger container because it doubled in size (and almost popped the lid off it).  

I now have a "mother starter" or "barm".  It's in the fridge at the moment and tomorrow I'll use a portion of it to make some bread.  It's a wild yeast starter, so nothing "commercial" will be used as leaven for my bread.

This is going to be a trial and error kind of thing.  While I've read quite a bit on this subject,  this starter is supposed to "mature" over time (with some careful attention given to it).  There's a lot of microbial action taking place here between yeast and bacterial growth.   How the starter is maintained and how much of it is used in a dough, so I've read, greatly impacts the flavors and acidity level of the finished product.  Again, I have no idea what I'm doing but the results I've seen so far are very positive :)

Tomorrow, I'll fill you in on the process of making bread with this stuff.  It's definitely is going to be a longer process but I'm anticipating some great finished product results in both texture and flavor.   From this point forward, no new bread recipes.  I'll stick with this one until I learn more from each result.

2 comments:

Bargegirl said...

Yum! I love sourdough bread, especially toasted with butter...

When I was a girl, my family often camped out overnight in the wilds of Wyoming -- no campgrounds there. My mother packed everything for Saturday dinner, Sunday breakfast and an afternoon cookout in a Coleman cooler. She had a sourdough starter with which she made pancakes on Sunday morning, fried in bacon fat over an open wood fire. Ah, that was the life!

Joe Gee said...

Wow! That sounds magical! What a great memory ;)

Post a Comment