Monday, August 8, 2011

Seed Culture: Day Two UPDATE

OK...  I moved the bowl to another location and, well, forgot about it :p  It didn't really look like it was working anyway (may have been too cool because of the A/C? ) I'll try  making a poolish or pre-fermentation soon.


2nd update:  I just realized that, even after 48 hours, there may NOT be any noticeable fermentation activity.  I'll probably start that after I work with the poolish I made yesterday.

Well, nothing exciting to report...  as the instructions suggested, there's not much in the way of bubbling after just 24 hours.  However, it is a little foamy and it's taking on a bit of an aroma.  Tomorrow afternoon, I'll start phase two which simply calls for the addition of more flour and water to phase one's ingredients.  It can take anywhere from one to four days before fermentation causes it to be very foamy / bubbly.  Geez,  for the time involved, this must surely result in a special bread.  Otherwise, why would anyone take the trouble to go through all of this?  :)  Once the seed culture is done, I still have to make the "Mother Starter".

After 24 hours:  The bubbles here were mainly the result of some mixing  (the cream color is mostly poor lighting)

0 comments:

Post a Comment