Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Proof is in the Eating :)

OK, this is a slice off the one that was a little "flat" looking.  I was afraid that the crumb (the inside) would be too dense but (with my limited ability at bread baking analysis) I think it looks pretty good.  I had the bread on the next to lowest rack in the oven on a pre-heated (425F) baking tray (one of Martha's products).  I just realized I should have preheated  to 450F.  Oh well...   Just after putting it in the oven, I poured about a 1/2 cup of water into a tray I had on the very bottom rack (to produce steam and form a crispy crust).  Don't think I put enough in though.  While the crust is pleasant to the bite, it's not quite what I was looking for.

 Since these loaves weren't as "big" as my previous loaves, I cut back to 375F after about 20 minutes and gave it another 20 - 25 at that lower temp.    Next time, I'll make sure I set it to the correct temperature initially and leave it a little longer (before lowering the temp).

Here's what it looked like.  Tasted very good...  thought it had better flavor / texture than the last one.

I can see that this not something I'm going to learn to do really well overnight :)




2 comments:

Bargegirl said...

To me, it seems that you have already made impressive progress!

Joe Gee said...

In truth, I have done this before... however, it's been a REALLY long time. Used to work in a restaurant that had a separate french bread bakery that made wonderful baguettes (which I'm going to try today)

Post a Comment