Thursday, August 11, 2011

Mod Larry and Jackie's Bread...

First of all, I made a boule yesterday that came out pretty well at the 60% hydration.  Definitely easier work with.  Had our good friend Joe stop by for dinner and 1/2 of it was gone in no time.  The balance went back home with Joe :)

At about 8:30 this morning, I put together a 63% hydration bread dough:

572 grams flour
358 grams water
3 grams yeast
11 grams salt
2 tablespoons of honey
1 tablespoon of olive oil  (put in the batch 4 minutes into the kneading on "2" on the KA mixer).  Gave it another minute or so until it looked fully incorporated.

At 63%, it was still pretty sticky, but I used the "stretch and fold" technique which seemed to improve the handling fairly quickly (although still very sticky).  Note to self:  buy a bench scraper and see if the local tile place has a scrap piece of granite they might want to part with)


I put the dough in a greased bowl, covered it with a plastic bag, and put it in the fridge before we went out.   Got home around 1:30 and put the whole thing in the oven (that I preheated for about 3 minutes) so it could warm up a bit.

About an hour later, after the boule was formed, I put it into a wicker basket that I lined with a heavily floured linen cloth.  I'll line it properly before I do the next one.  It's now in the oven for proofing.  Since it was still cool to the touch (but apparently active), I'm going to give this an hour before I check it.  Will report back soon.
So everyone knows, the detail I'm putting in these blogs are for me :) so I can remember what the heck I do from batch to batch.   Maybe someone else might learn something from what I either do right or wrong :)

PJ






0 comments:

Post a Comment