Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Baking Day

The dough I made yesterday evening has been rising in the refrigerator overnight.  It didn't appear to have exactly doubled in size but I think it's fine.  Smells pretty good.

Last night:


This morning:

It actually did start to rise again while I was slowly warming it up.  I gave it close to two hours before I started to work with it.   Not sure how this is going to turn out, but I think the consistency is OK.  It just happens to be much tackier than my other batches and a little difficult to work with.  I probably would have added more flour (I did lightly flour the work area) but decided to leave well enough alone.  I didn't want to work it too much and release too much of the bubbles that have already formed.  I'm aiming for larger irregularly shaped holes.  (or so I think :) )

I formed this batch into two boules, let them rest for about 10 minutes and then tried to shape them into something that's supposed to be a Bâtard.  Doesn't look like I nailed the formation of them correctly as they look like they're not retaining their shape.  Not sealed right?  Too much water?  I have no idea :)  I'll give them an hour to proof, make my cuts and pop 'em in the oven.  BTW:  the tops were rolled on a damp paper towel and then into a pan of mixed regular and black sesame seed.

 I've let the dough proof for about an hour.  I'm not sure where I went wrong on this but I'm leaning toward over-proofing...  Scoring was not as easy to do as in the previous batch.  In addition, as soon as I scored the top, it just totally flattened out.  So, while it'll taste ok, I don't think I'm going to get the "spring" or the rising of the bread in the early stage of baking.  Worse comes to worse, it'll be a ciabatta :)  I just popped it in the oven.  Also trying something different here.  I'm putting it on a pre-heated baking sheet toward the bottom of the oven.  Not sure how long to give it so I'll have to keep an eye on it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment