Sunday, August 7, 2011

#4 was the charm :)

I felt I corrected everything that I'd done wrong in the previous batches.  In addition,  I ended up with a dough that was pretty "tacky"; something I'd come to learn was actually a good thing  (I'll get to that in my next blog).  The one thing I did differently (than this video) was adding just one teaspoon of yeast.  The more I'm reading,  I think I only need to use enough yeast to get things going.  For future batches,  I'll be slowing down the fermentation process by refrigerating the dough overnight (something that should make for better flavor in the finished product).  For this particular batch,  the dough doubled in around an hour and a half.  I punched it down, flattened it out, rolled in and sealed the corners and formed the boule (or ball) so it had a nice tight "skin".   I let this double in size and lightly scored it (in retrospect, I might have scored it just a little deeper).  I tossed some water into a pre-heated pan before I closed the door to the oven.   I gave the bread 30 minutes at 450F, reduced it to 375F and gave it about 20 min more.  The end result was a fairly dark colored bread (I thought I might have left it in too long) but the crumb, the crust and the flavor were pretty darn good (in this newbie's opinion).  A pat on the bottom yielded a nice drum-like hollow sound.   Nice!  Here's the end result:





I'm now in the process of reading Reinhart's Artisen Breads Everyday.  Tomorrow, I'll post my attempt at starting a seed culture for a sourbread dough.  It's going to take a couple of days, but hopefully, I'll be able to make a whole wheat sourbread dough :)  Looks like I'll be able to keep the starter for a very long time.  From what I've read,  there's a bakery that's used the same one for 100 years :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment